Ramblings

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Unimaginable

Wow. . . so much has happened in the last two weeks. August 29, 2005 is a day that Americans won't soon forget. One of the worst natural disasters in the history of the country and probably the worst in my lifetime struck the Gulf Coast in the form of Hurricane Katrina. It was less than a year ago when Ellen and I spent a day and a half in New Orleans before we boarded our cruise ship and headed for Mexico. New Orleans is such a wonderful city and I am broken-hearted that I wasn't able to spend more time there before this disaster happened.

While we were there, we spent some time walking in the French Quarter (avoiding Burbon Street) and had dinner at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. We walked along the banks of the Mississippi River and the next morning we spent an hour or so walking through RiverWalk (the mall on the river near the cruise terminal). We ate Bingets from Cafe DuMonde and took pictures of our time there. I only wish I would have been able to go back and spend some more time there.

I personally do not know anyone affected by the storm but I do know that the Grand Worthy Advisor of Mississippi has lost her home and her job. I can't even imagine what those families are going through right now. People had to abandon their pets, their friends and the place that they have called home for their entire lives. Just watching it on televlsion makes me tear up on a daily basis. I wish I had the resources to do more to help. I sent my donation to Supreme Assembly so that maybe I could help a fellow member little bit. I know what I sent won't even make a dent in their rebuilding process, but every little bit helps, right?

My best friend Kevin is in the suburbs of New Orleans right now with his National Guard unit and he was supposed to be sent their to bag and tag bodies. Right now his unit is patrolling in Chalmette, Louisiana. They are the police at this point and they are going door to door marking the homes with the number of living or dead. He says he can'e believe the destruction in the area, and coming from him, that's a big statement. He compared the situation to the movie 28 Days except the bad guys aren't zombies, they are "gang bangers shooting at us." I said a few days ago that I would rather he be in Louisiana than in Iraq but at this point, I don't know which would be worse. Kevin has taken a lot of pictures and I'm sure that I will get them whenever he gets home and I'll post some here. For now, I will post some of the pictures of New Orleans when we were there last fall.













For Today: "Never deprive someone of hope; it might be all they have." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home