Ramblings

Friday, July 22, 2005

Yeah. .. semi-vacation

Tomorrow marks my first ever "business trip". I feel like that guy on the commercial (I think for some Toyota) that is using his expense account for the first time except I know better than to go quite that crazy. While all you people here in Lawrence are enjoying triple digits and heat indexes that are likely to bake you alive, I'll be in Milwaukee enjoying the 85 degree weather with rain. . . no complaints. Ashley and I are spending 4 nights at the Hilton at City Center and attending the Northwester Mutual Financial Network Annual Meeting. We get to see the Beach Boys on Tuesday night and fly home around 1:30 on Wednesday afternoon.

It's a small world. I found out about a month ago that one of the women I know from my IORG E-mail list works for Russell and lives in Tacoma, Washington and will also be at the NMFN Annual Meeting so I will get to meet her.

On a completely different note, please pray for the people of London. It just doesn't seem that it's ever going to stop. The police shot and killed someone this morning on the Tube and I cringe everytime that the news comes on with another resport about more bombings. London isn't Baghdad, it's London for goodness sake. . . if it could happen in London, it could happen anywhere. Not that I think anyone would target Kansas City or something, but who knows. Kansas City is in the heartland of the United States and we know how many people hate America. What better place to strike than one that no one in the world is expecting. I admit it scares me but it doesn't stop me from living my life. I admire the people of London who could go to work the day after the bombings even though their tube had been attacked the day before and still be resiliant enough to move on and not be intimidated by these gutless murderers.

These terrorists are not only killing the people that die immediately, but they are also contributing to more and more American service men and service women dying every day. The more terror attacks that happen, the longer our men and women are going to be over their fighting for freedom so that no one else ever has to endure what these victims and their families have been through. Your perspective on the war changes completely when one of your friends gives up his life on that battlefield so that you may maintain the lifestyle that you have become accustomed to. No one can bring Kyle back, but we know that he died for a purpose and he knew that his purpose was an important one. I have many friends right now who are standing by, waiting to be called up and everytime some terrorist blows something else up, they are one step closer to the "sandbox" as they call it.

Some people say, "how can there be a God when there is all this fighting and death in the world?" I say, because God knows that sacrificing one life may save a thousand more. These soldiers are not only fighting for America, but they're fighting for everything that is good and moral in the world. Now, I don't believe in forcing your religious beliefs on others, but I do believe in standing up for what you believe in. I think that no one can truly accept a religion without wanting to accept it. Like, no one is going to stop smoking just because someone else wants them to, they have to want it for themselves. I don't think we should convert the Middle East to Christianity. Let them believe what they want, but let them do it in a morally upstanding way and not by terrorism.

I'll get off my soapbox now. . . I leave KCI at 1:30 tomorrow afternoon and I'll be back Wednesday around 3. I'm taking my laptop so I won't be cut off from the world :-) Later!

~Amanda

Verse for Today: "But you be strong and do not lose courage, for there is reward for your work." ~2 Chronicles 15:7

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home